Tag Archives: steampunk

Steampunk Dragonfly

Steampunk Dragonfly

Steampunk Dragonfly

Good morning!! I’ve had a few days off work, and am trying to catch up with my blogging – of course, I’m trying to catch up with everything else, so it’s a lot slower going than it should be!!  The card I have here features the image Steampunk Dragonfly by Ching-Chou Kuik.  It’s been some time since I’ve done anything steampunk, because, frankly, it scares me!! Lol.  I colored the image with my Prismacolor pencils, adding some metallic accents on the gears and bolts of her outfit, and drawing in the crackly background.  After die/fussy cutting the image out, I matted it on a piece that I’d cut with some edging scissors to look like a big cog.  The  background uses a technique that I learned in grade 2 (I think…..it was a long time ago, as I’m turning 50 in a few weeks!)  We made pencil holders for our Dads for Fathers Day, using masking tape to cover the item…then it was a can, now its a piece of cereal box….then inking it to give it a faux leather look.  I’m allowed to use heat guns now, so I sprinkled some embossing powders on this to give it even more texture.  I added the chain pieces, some metal roses, and the gears to finish this off.  Here is a picture of the original Father’s Day project!

IMG_4469

I’d like to enter the card in the following challenges:

Scr@p Cards Challenge – #98 Things With Wings

Morgan’s ArtWorld - #13 ATG

A Perfect Time to Craft – #7 ATG

Digi Choosday – Week 27 ATG

Crafty Gals Corner – #130 ATG

Steampunk box lid

Steampunk Box

Steampunk box 1

Well, I went through my craft room and found such a load of alterable items, that I decided to actually DO something with one of them!! I recently won the Steampunk Owl image from Aurora Wings, so figured it would be a great focal point for a steampunk trinket box.  The image is different that the ones I usually use from Aurora Wings, and I don’t do steampunk often, so this was a bit of a challenge for me.  I colored the image with my SN markers, adding a few metallic touches with gel pen; then I fussy cut it out.  I got realllllly messy preparing the box, painting, adding some pumice sand texture, stamping some metallic clock faces, then I dug out some metal accents, distressed them.  When everything was in place, the image seemed a bit bright, so I added a few drops of metallic black paint to my matte finish Mod Podge, and slathered it on.  I dabbed some copper and gold pigment ink on the high points of the pumice sand, then gave it another coat of plain Mod Podge to seal everything.  I love the rustic look of this box….I just wish that the photos showed all the detail better!

Steampunk box 2Steampunk box frontSteampunk box sideSteampunk box lidI would like to enter this into the following challenges:

Aurora Wings Challenge Blog - #48 ATG