Hi there 🙂 I’m back with a mid-challenge inspiration project for the current Aurora Wings Challenge blog 🙂 Our theme this time is
I figured I would take a different route with my project, and, instead of using a song, use an album as my inspiration. Being an 80’s girl, I was a fan of Hall and Oates, and their H20 album was big when I was in high school. Luckily, my vinyl collecting friend had a spare copy of this very album, which I actually used as the base for my project 🙂
H20 being water, what else would I use but one of Mitzi’s spectacular mermaid images? This time, I chose La Mer, available exclusively at the Aurorawings.com shop. After coloring this beauty up with my Copics, I fussy cut her out and set her aside while I prepared the album base.
I had a few albums to practice on, as it’s been years since I’ve heated records up to make bowls or other projects, and I didn’t want to wreck the actual H20 album. Well….well, well, well…..I really don’t know why I keep having these near catastrophic “things” happening with my DT projects….but this one was a doozy. I put the album into my heated oven, and emptied my dishwasher. I smelled something funny, looked in the oven and:
OMG!! Not good!! First, it stunk, bad BAD!! Second, I live in a rented apartment….nuff said. Third, it was all over the burner and racks and everything!! Fourth, even after the oven cooled, I can’t just snap the plastic off….vinyl apparently melts and cooks in a “special” way. This will take some time to figure out…..hopefully I can figure something out, or this will officially be the most expensive DT project ever!!! ….. HOWEVER, being the optimist, and focusing on the positive, it WAS a practice album, and I knew what NOT to do. I got out my heat gun, and TADA!!! Worked like a charm!!! (note: I did not use a heat gun when making album bowls…so I don’t know what happened). I heated and bent and rippled the album until I was happy with the random appearance that I came up with. I positioned the mermaid image, which I popped up fairly high to allow for the decorations, so that the space between her tail and body showed the album title. I then added Spanish Moss, an assortment of seashells and star fish, some pretty green dried things that I had in my stash, pearls, some greenery, and liquid pearl accents.
I am thrilled beyond belief with this…and will keep looking at it….because I like it, and to avoid that other “stuff” that has to be attended to…. I know I’ll laugh at what happened someday….but not today….or tomorrow….and bets are off for next week as well!!!
I’d love to enter the following with this:
Classic Design Team Open Challenge – #10 October
Creative Moments – #153 ATG
Polkadoodles Challenge – ATG Week 39
DL Art – October Linky Challenge